Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Reflection


The examples given on my mind map represent avenues currently available for me to learn.  In the previous class I was exposed to blogging but once the class ended, I failed to pursue that resource again.  I have learned that following the blogs give unlimited access to tons of useful information.  This allows me to gather information from individuals all of the world.  The way we do things in Southern Louisiana will be very different from techniques used in England.   After several attempts at setting up the RSS Feeder, I was allowed one central location for updates on my group’s blogs.  I was speaking with a coworker the other day about how cool it was to have this resource available.  I could not think of the technical term so I just called it Feedbook for the time being.   

Connectivism is the learning theory that has become the platform for the digital age.  “The launch of Sputnik sparked massively funded curriculum reform in the United States” (13).  Since the 1950’s and with every generation the way curriculums are designed are consistently changing.  Self-directed learning allows adults to facilitate their own learning plan.  If adults have control of how they intake the information they may be able to get a deeper understanding of the presented material.  Also most adults have children and were not given a handbook on how to raise a child.  For majority of the world this has worked in their favor. 

My children and work experience has helped me on my journeys to be coming an instructional designer.  Learning was fairly easy for my older two children.  My oldest daughter can read or hear something and remember it until the end of time.  My ten year old has developmental delays and learning has been a struggle.  She was nonverbal until she was almost seven years old but her input was “okay”.  We had to think of different ways to get answers from her so she could communicate without using and talk assistant device.  Teaching at the Community College has allowed me to see how the millennial’s approach education.  Malcom Knowles developed a theory of Andragogy.  “It is the art and science of helping adults learn” (1).  These students were allowed to guide their curriculums which motivated them to pay attentions and complete task.
 
Conlan, J.,  Grabowski, S., & Smith K.. (2003).  Adult Learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology.  Retrieved July 27, 2015, from http://epltt.coe.uga.edu/
 
Ormrod, J. (n.d.). Overview. In Learning Theories and Instruction (5th ed., p. 13). New York: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment