Sunday, August 16, 2015

#fittingitalltogether




Week 7:  #FITTINGTHEPIECESTOGETHER
A month ago my views on learning styles did not have all the ingredients to make a cake.  I viewed myself as a kinesthetic learner.  I was not aware of isms, self-directed learning, the difference in learning theories and learning strategies, motivation and affect, reflective teaching, and the list continues from this point.  Honestly, the last seven weeks has been hectic with a lot of information to retain.  I was to the point I thought I had the Kelly Bundy affect. (For every knew fact learn I lost and old one. What’s my name?)
Now that you have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and learning styles, how has your view on how you learn changed?
My views on how I learn is not the same as it was in week one.  I learned I am not just a kinesthetic learner and I fall into several categories. "Like with the rationalist of Plato's time, the mind is believed to be the source of all meaning, yet like empiricist, individual, direct experiences with the environment are considered critical”.  Because I have moved around a lot and experienced different cultures I think my learning process has changed over the years. Having availability to discussion boards have also helped to mold my growth.  Each week I gain to opinion of ten or more individuals.  This has given me knowledge of social learning.  I have also implemented this process in my class and students have taken to the process.  Most of the ones that are shy and do not like to talk in front of the class are really upfront in their post.
What have you learned about the various learning theories and learning styles over the past weeks that can further explain your own personal learning preferences?
I have found that you cannot teach or learn in one learning theory.   Trying to group individuals in their perspective theory would limit their ability to learn.  It would be like the movie divergent.  Once you pick a theory you are stuck there or be sent to exile.  Without knowing it most people are using strategies from several learning theories. 
What role does technology play in your learning (i.e., as a way to search for information, to record information, to create, etc.)?
Technology has played a major role in the way I learn.  If it was not for advancements in technology I would have not finished my Bachelors online or attempting to complete my IDT degree.  The blog was not a problem to set up but the RSS feeder gave me the blues.  I tried to problem solve on my own because my children will not always be available to help and it helped me remember because I learned what not to do.  I also like the advancements that have been made in the special education levels in my area.  When my ten year old first started school her assistive talking device had 16 possible words she could use.  Over the last few years she has begun to talk but the devices and apps available can speak an entire sentence.   
Felicia
Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), 50-71.


No comments:

Post a Comment